[erlang-questions] ssh direct-tcpip port forwarded tunnel

Ingela Andin ingela.andin@REDACTED
Thu Jun 12 11:18:47 CEST 2014

Hi!

[...]

While there is some code that appears to handle these messages in the SSH
> daemon at the moment, it doesn't look like it's really functional for this
> kind of remote forwarding tunnel. The daemon looks like it will accept any
> tcpip-forward request, but it never opens a port or anything and there is
> no way to generate the forwarded-tcpip channel open requests going back to
> the client at the moment. I also can see no implementation of server-side
> handling of direct-tcpip -- I don't want to jump to conclusions, but it
> looks like maybe this was written in just to prevent crashes with these
> messages and nothing more -- you should probably take it as a blank slate,
> not as something to just be fixed up a little to get it going.
> On 10 Jun 2014, at 5:51 pm, Tom van Neerijnen <tom@REDACTED> wrote:

This code was part of the original ssh contribution, that was undocumented
and had no testcases (there is a reason we have higher demands on
contributions nowdays).  We have spent a lot of time improving ssh and
writing test cases and documentation for ssh, but there are still quite a
few things to do to have full RFC support. It would surprise me a lot if
the forwarded-tcpip code would work out of the box, there is a reason it is
not documented and it is that we do not have any test for it and hence it
probably does not work. It would be nice if it worked but as always a
question of priorities. Maybe a good candidate for a user contribution!

Regards Ingela Erlang/OTP Team - Ericsson AB

[...]