[erlang-questions] How to return all records in dets

Joe Armstrong erlang@REDACTED
Mon Jun 2 09:36:11 CEST 2014

On Mon, Jun 2, 2014 at 12:06 AM, Evgeny M <donpedrothird@REDACTED> wrote:

> My 2 cents as a more or less erlang noob on the documentation.
> Most of the docs on the standard modules is fine if you know basics about
> folds, maps, common data structures etc.
> Some of docs, like docs on dets/ets/mnesia selects and matches are vague
> and need more examples. I for one still not sure why foldl on a table, as
> Joe Armstrong suggested, is better than match or select. There are other
> commonly used modules and apps which would benefit from more examples too, the
> first things that come to my mind are inets and crypto infrastructure
> with public_key.
>
> The docs are not horrible, far from it, but having more examples would be
> really helpful.

I agree - two thoughts occur to me.

Firstly, some kind of "reduced" manual pages might be helpful.
Many modules export a heck of a lot of functions, of which possible half a
dozen are the most used and
most useful. It might be nice to document the "best of" some module.
Secondly the "best of" section should have a lot
of simple examples.

/Joe