[erlang-questions] Is -on_load() still experimental? Anyone using it?

Björn Gustavsson bjorn@REDACTED
Mon Jan 27 11:57:27 CET 2014

On Fri, Jan 24, 2014 at 10:46 AM, Ferenc Holzhauser <
ferenc.holzhauser@REDACTED> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Recently stumbled into the -on_load() directive. It seems nice to replace
> manual work (when possible) e.g. when a live update of a library module
> needs some environment/configuration change on the running system.
>
> doc: http://www.erlang.org/doc/reference_manual/code_loading.html#id84676
>
> It says it is experimental (since R13B03).
> After trying, it appears to be doing what I think it supposed to but
> looking at this note in the doc I'm not sure how safe it is to use in
> production.

We don't recommend using it for anything except loading NIF libraries.
We will update the documentation to say that.

/Björn