[erlang-questions] [Heads up!] Emysql driver is on a roller-coaster of changes

João Neves sevenjp@REDACTED
Thu Feb 27 16:42:49 CET 2014

jesper.louis.andersen@REDACTED>:

> Hi e-q@,
>
> The Emysql driver got some TLC today, and the last couple of days. If you
> use it, I would like that test out v0.4.1 or master. I tried very hard to
> not break backwards compatibility, but I might have failed.
>
> If you hate my patches, there is tags for each older release, so you
> should be able to pick up an older version.
>
> Changes:
>
> * I have genuinely started to sort calls into "Public API" and "Private
> API". This means I am trying to constrain the API down to just a few calls.
> This is easier to maintain, and it is also less susceptible to errors and
> mistakes.

Shameless self-promotion, but I'd love to see iota (
https://github.com/jpgneves/iota) being used for this in the wild if it
would be appropriate. If not, do let me know your thoughts so I know what I
could improve or do differently. :)

> * All the conversion routines in `emysql_util` are now available from
> `emysql`. I am trying to make a single-module interface to the application
> so you don't need to know what is internals and not.
> * Using `emysql_util` is deprecated. But the guarantee is backwards
> compatibility until v1.0.0
> * The issue-tracker now has tasks to work on, if you feel inclined to help
> out.
>
> In general, the TCP handling is a mess. And so is the protocol handling.
> But it will take a bit of time until I figure out how to handle those parts
> of the code base and revamp them into something more correct. I suspect
> there is some speed to be gained by rewriting the code into clean naive
> Erlang.
>
> Finally: If you have any lingering patches you would like to see added,
> don't hide! Though I admit I changed a lot so reintegrating them might take
> some time.
>
> --
> J.

João Neves