[erlang-questions] byte_size/1 vs variable access

Bob Ippolito bob@REDACTED
Tue Feb 25 23:01:32 CET 2014

I don't know about performance implications, but I've found that it's often
necessary to work around limitations of bit matching syntax. Here's an
example:

1> Foo = <<"asdf">>, FooSize = byte_size(Foo).
4
2> <<Foo:(byte_size(Foo))/binary, Rest/binary>> = <<"asdfghi">>.
* 1: illegal bit size
3> <<Foo:FooSize/binary, Rest/binary>> = <<"asdfghi">>.
<<"asdfghi">>