[erlang-questions] Creating a diagnostic memory dump of live erlang VM

Vlad Dumitrescu vladdu55@REDACTED
Thu Feb 20 10:30:39 CET 2014

Hi,

On Thu, Feb 20, 2014 at 9:26 AM, Anton Lebedevich <mabrek@REDACTED> wrote:

> Another thing which I missed a lot after converting from java to erlang
> is a thread dump. It turned out that it's possible to get all
> stacktraces for all processes (even with function arguments) via
> erlang:system_info(procs).
>
> It returns them as text so it's better to dump it to file immediately:
> file:write_file("/tmp/procs.txt",erlang:system_info(procs)).
>
> Format of these traces is quite interesting (undocumented) the best
> description I found is in the mailing list
> http://erlang.org/pipermail/erlang-questions/2012-November/070609.html

I might just as well ask the obvious question: why is not this information
available even as normal Erlang terms, so that one doesn't need to parse
it? When writing a crash dump, it doesn't matter, but if it should be used
at runtime it's a pain to parse it... This applies to the other results
from system_info/1 that are dumped as text.

regards,
Vlad