[erlang-questions] How to Name Concurrency Patterns

Ulf Wiger ulf@REDACTED
Thu Feb 20 08:58:13 CET 2014

Perhaps it should be called "concurrency-oriented patterns" instead? Strictly speaking, a pipe isn't about concurrency so much as serialization/chaining (and can be executed without any concurrency at all), but it's most likely used more often than not in conjunction with concurrency.

A pattern I don't see mentioned often is what I might call 'orchestrator', where one process is assigned the responsibility for the overall 'script', dispatches tasks to workers and collects the results. I would say that pmap() is a simple orchestrator pattern, and a good opportunity to explain both supervision and selective receive.

BR,
Ulf W

Ulf Wiger, Feuerlabs, Inc.
http://www.feuerlabs.com