[erlang-questions] What problem are we trying to solve here? [was Erland users group [was re: languages in use? [was: Time for OTP to be Renamed?]]]

Kenji Rikitake kenji@REDACTED
Thu Feb 20 01:31:11 CET 2014

++> Tuncer Ayaz <tuncer.ayaz@REDACTED> [2014-02-18 13:53:09 +0100]:
> On Tue, Feb 18, 2014 at 12:36 PM, Kenji Rikitake wrote:
> > A practical issue: uploading to GitHub is *painfully slow*
> > (< 200kbytes/sec)
>
> In one go with no retry or resume?

I broke the data into chunks. See this for the details:
https://github.com/jj1bdx/tinymtdc-longbatch

> Is it the same on different .jp networks?

Not measured, but should be. I suspect it's traffic shaping, but who knows.

> > I think depending on GitHub is not good, though.
>
> I've said it before in another package repo discussion, but I'd like
> to second the opinion that making use of a mirror network is crucial.

+1. CDN has become a must for a usable data replication service.

> Reliability and distributed availability are very important. According
> to mirrors.cpan.org, it is mirrored on 486 sites, and I think Erlang's
> FOSS projects qualify to be distributed in a mirror network, too. For
> FOSS projects it doesn't make sense to have a central package repo
> operated by a commercial entity. I don't know how CPAN is maintained, but
> it seems to have served them well and should be considered as
> inspiration. Finally, do not underestimate the importance of having an
> archive of old versions.

Also +1. CPAN works very well.

Kenji Rikitake