[erlang-questions] Congrats WhatsApp

Bob Ippolito bob@REDACTED
Wed Feb 19 23:51:07 CET 2014

When I was there, most of Facebook's interesting code was in C++ and Java.
A bit of Python for management. Massive amounts of PHP for front-end and
business logic type stuff. Native code for mobile stuff. They have some
cool services built in Haskell these days too (and they have some great
Haskell folks) but not so much in 2012. It's a very pragmatic shop.

>From what I understood, Erlang didn't succeed there in the past because
they had a hard time recruiting / training for Erlang and they didn't want
to do all the work to make it mesh well with how they build and manage
their other services. It was easier for them to rewrite and maintain in C++
than develop deep Erlang expertise.