[erlang-questions] "actor database" - architectural strategy question

Richard A. O'Keefe ok@REDACTED
Wed Feb 19 02:22:16 CET 2014

On 18/02/2014, at 12:22 PM, Miles Fidelman wrote:

> Ok.  After reading what others have said about garbage collection, this is clearly issue number one that I'll need to address.

I think that issues 0, 1, and 2 are

 0. With a distributed replicated collection of active
    documents, how are you going to correct errors without
    the system correcting them back?  (This leads to
    questions of authentication and control.)

 1. With a distributed set of *active* "documents",
    what stops divergent computations?
    (E.g., document X is created, then document Y is created
    with a rule "I am document X plus the letter Y" and then
    document X is revised to "I am document Y plus the letter X",
    and it's "To infinity and beyondYXYXYXYXYXYXYXYXYX..." time.)

 2. Versioning and metadata.

I think distributed GC can/should exploit versioning and metadata
and must respect authentication and control.

But that's just my NZD 0.01.