[erlang-questions] modular otp concerns

Vlad Dumitrescu vladdu55@REDACTED
Tue Feb 18 15:11:29 CET 2014

Hi,

On Tue, Feb 18, 2014 at 12:48 PM, Tuncer Ayaz <tuncer.ayaz@REDACTED> wrote:

> I know that at least Bjoern-Egil has been investigating the possibility of
> splitting up otp.git into sub repos, and before anything is set into
> stone, I'd like to resolve one concern I have.
>
> What will happen to the default distribution and the bundled libraries?
>
> Is the plan to split it into core and extra? I'm concerned that if we
> follow that route, we would lose the ability to rely on pretty useful
> functionality available out of the box. For example, today it's very
> convenient that I can write an escript which:
>  * interacts with the network (http, ssh, snmp, etc.)
>  * compiles sources for various languages
>  * creates or extracts tarballs or zip archives
>  * inspects a (remote) node
>  * much more...

One thought about this: there are several levels of modularity that could
be enabled, but as a first step I think that what could be separated are
the telecom-specific libraries (asn1, cos*, megaco, diameter). Snmp is on
the fence.

I think that such a modularization should start with support in the
language/libraries for modularity and an application repository.

regards,
Vlad