[erlang-questions] Preloaded modules "lists" dependency

Loïc Hoguin essen@REDACTED
Tue Feb 18 14:26:19 CET 2014

On 02/18/2014 02:00 PM, Björn-Egil Dahlberg wrote:
> On 2014-02-17 21:15, Thomas Lindgren wrote:
>>
>> "The "OTP2" part interests me a lot more. One of my favorite ideas is to
>> be able to define the whole supervision tree in a single module, and to
>> have it feature more complex components like pools for example. It could
>> come with a default pool implementation, with a well defined interface
>> (from the point of view of the supervision tree) that allows it to be
>> replaced with whichever one you want. So instead of having 10 modules
>> describing your application, it could all be in a very visual format ..."
>
> I think these kind of enhancements is the ones that should be researched
> and written about.
>
> I would like to see either an extensive blog article, a white paper or
> an EUC / Factory presentation on different approaches or extensions to
> the existing OTP principals. I don't want to see code. I want to see how
> it would fit together, described using small words and visual aids.

That will eventually happen, but experimenting with code is part of my
thought process:

1- Think. *A LOT*. This can take anywhere from weeks to years.
2- Write down a tentative interface for how it would all work.
3- Repeat 1 and 2 until happy with the interface.
4- Implement a prototype using that interface.
5- Repeat 1, 2, 3 and 4 until happy with the interface AND prototype.
6- Release it.

Part 2 eventually becomes the manual/guide/article/.. It evolves from
short notes to a fully fledged reference over the course of the process.

And yes, I am very slow using this process. Don't use it if you have
deadlines.

As far as "OTP2" is concerned I'm still mostly in part 1 with a few
short attempts at 2. I'm having too much fun doing other things at the
moment.

--
Loïc Hoguin
http://ninenines.eu