[erlang-questions] What problem are we trying to solve here? [was Erland users group [was re: languages in use? [was: Time for OTP to be Renamed?]]]

Bob Ippolito bob@REDACTED
Tue Feb 18 02:01:17 CET 2014

It is important to have the ability to create private package indexes and
repository mirrors for security/performance/redundancy.

I don't think that making GitHub the de facto option for the public index
and package hosting is a bad idea, as long as it's obvious how to use an
alternative index. There are services that could be used to help power
testing/CI that layer well on top of GitHub, such as Travis-CI. Rackspace
is also known to donate time on their cloud for open source projects,
although that would require some central administration.