[erlang-questions] Preloaded modules "lists" dependency

Ali Sabil ali.sabil@REDACTED
Mon Feb 17 16:16:35 CET 2014

On Mon, Feb 17, 2014 at 3:14 PM, Loïc Hoguin <essen@REDACTED> wrote:

> Thoughts and ideas are not worth a lot until they are tested so I will
> spare you most details for now. It's still a pretty long read.
>
> For the "Erlang2" part, there isn't much to say. Erlang is a language that
> is almost perfect. My conclusions about improving it are that there are
> very few things that can be improved, and they are mostly edge cases
> (shadowing would be a big one, and not being able to do (<< B:Len/binary,
> _/bits >>, Len) in a function clause would be another - but the latter is
> going to be solved soon as I gather). The rest of it, well, I came pretty
> much to the same conclusions as Joe, the only thing I would add is a basic
> form of metaprogramming. Basically you want to be able to do two things:
> compute some data at compile time, and run tests at compile time (and fail
> to compile if the tests fail). Optionally would allow you to do some
> conditional builds to work around issues with a specific version of Erlang.
> But no macros or other weird stuff that just make the code more complex for
> no good reasons.
>
> I'm no language expert and I'm not too interested in this part so don't
> expect anything from me on that point. If I ever attempt something it would
> just be a very basic wrapper on top of the current Erlang syntax to allow
> for compile-time stuff to happen (meaning: outside functions, and perhaps
> even outside modules entirely).
>
> The "OTP2" part interests me a lot more. One of my favorite ideas is to be
> able to define the whole supervision tree in a single module, and to have
> it feature more complex components like pools for example. It could come
> with a default pool implementation, with a well defined interface (from the
> point of view of the supervision tree) that allows it to be replaced with
> whichever one you want. So instead of having 10 modules describing your
> application, it could all be in a very visual format in a single module.

It's already possible as of today. Just pattern match on the init/1
arguments in the supervisor callback module:

start_link() ->
supervisor:start_link({local, ?MODULE}, ?MODULE, app).

init(app) ->
{ok, {
{one_for_all, 5, 10}, [
{workers_sup, {supervisor, start_link, [?MODULE, workers_sup]}, permanent,
infinity, supervisor, [?MODULE]}
 ]
}};
init(workers_sup) ->
{ok, {
 {simple_one_for_one, 5, 10}, [
{worker,  {worker, start_link, []}, temporary, 5000, worker, [worker]}
]
 }}.