[erlang-questions] "actor database" - architectural strategy question

Mon Feb 17 15:50:31 CET 2014

A document is a trace of events. These events records edits to the document
and when we play all of the events, we obtain the final document state.
Infinite undo is possible by looking back and replaying with a
point-in-time recovery option. An actor is a handler that can apply events
to a state in order to obtain a new state.

Events are persisted in an event log and WAL fashion. So even if the system
dies, we can replay its state safely. Once in a while, living processes
checkpoint their state to disk so they can boot up faster than having to
replay from day 0.

Multiple edits to the same document can be handled by operational transforms

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operational_transformation

Idle documents terminate themselves after a while by checkpointing
themselves to disk. Documents register themselves into gproc and if there
is no document present in gproc, you go to a manager and get it set up
either from disk or by forming a new document.

For easy storage, you can use a single table in a database for the log.

J.