[erlang-questions] languages in use? [was: Time for OTP to be Renamed?]

Loïc Hoguin essen@REDACTED
Sun Feb 16 01:58:06 CET 2014

On 02/16/2014 01:05 AM, Miles Fidelman wrote:
> Loïc Hoguin wrote:
>>
>> To make a comparison, it generally goes like this:
>>
>> What's Go? -> Language from Google by the Unix people -> I know and
>> like those, therefore Go must be good too, plus it looks similar to
>> what I'm used to.
>>
>> What's Erlang? -> Language from Ericsson invented 25+ years ago ->
>> Really? I'm not sure what Ericsson does... If it was invented 25 years
>> ago and I haven't heard about it yet it must not be very good, plus
>> it's not OO so it must not be very useful.
>>
>> You can't fix that.
>>
>> What you can fix about perception is actually minimal stuff. Like
>> changing the name. Using release numbers that aren't from another
>> planet. And so on.

Just in case this wasn't clear, I'm not saying changing the name or
release numbers or whatever is a good idea. I'm saying it's minimal and
thus not going to change anything.

> This is just plain silly.

You are talking about companies, I am talking about people. Erlang is
already adopted in many companies, there are more companies using Erlang
than there are Erlang developers. It is a grave mistake to focus on
companies at this point. What's missing is Erlang developers to work for
them and for new ones that might be interested in it.

It's about people.

--
Loïc Hoguin
http://ninenines.eu