[erlang-questions] Erland users group (was re: languages in use? [was: Time for OTP to be Renamed?])

John Kemp john@REDACTED
Sat Feb 15 17:07:49 CET 2014

Your examples are, I think, instructive:

On 02/15/2014 10:11 AM, mfidelman wrote:

> [...]

The demise of Sun's software business can possibly be largely attributed
to their failure to adequately share control over Java (see IBM's
Hotspot, and then later Dalvik). And I will note there was the JCP, J2ME
and lots of other attempts.

The language, far from fulfilling the promise of "write once, run
anywhere", has instead become marked by proprietary, probably
non-interoperable implementations instead (e.g. Dalvik VM has no
relation to J2ME applications that were once -- relatively -- popular on
other phones). Oracle being in control of Java (and MySQL) has led only
to more forks due to the FUD created by a single company's potential
control over the language specification.

> Microsoft - .NET

.NET adoption beyond the Windows platform has been largely nil (cough,
Mono). .NET as a platform has succeeded because Microsoft itself
provides excellent tools which enable all kinds of non-expert developers
to create applications. And they are one of the only companies able to
support a "tools" business - do they make a profit at it though.... I
dunno?

> Doesn't seem to have impeded adoption.

Instructive examples, yes. But neither of them completely analagous to
Erlang, and by the way, only somewhat related to my question about IEUG.
I don't believe either that standadization is necessary or is
unnecessary for Erlang. I was simply interested in the relationship of
IEUG to Erlang and its growth.

Regards,

- johnk