[erlang-questions] Time for OTP to be Renamed?

Loïc Hoguin essen@REDACTED
Fri Feb 14 13:36:10 CET 2014

On 02/14/2014 01:22 PM, Valentin Micic wrote:
>> Seems to me that scarcity is a GOOD thing for Erlang programmers. Java coders are a dime a dozen (not necessarily good ones, mind you).  Folks who know Erlang are harder to find - should drive the price up.
>
> Am I the only one seeing how wrong this statement is?
> Basic ECON-101 predicts that people buy more of the "stuff", when the "stuff" is cheaper, and, conversely,  less of the "stuff" when the "stuff" is more expensive; thus,  the obvious outcome cannot be a "GOOD for thing Erlang programmers", as they would eventually go extinct.
> Or let me rephrase it -- it may be a "GOOD thing for Erlang programmers" until a cheaper alternative is found.

How do you explain the luxury industry, or even just Apple? They're
literally making crappy stuff expensive "just because", and getting away
with it.

Erlang is similar, except it's not crappy stuff that's expensive, it's a
set of skills that is very hard to find outside Erlang. Erlang
developers tend to understand distributed systems more than any other
population, and you're paying for that.

> If Erlang is to be taken seriously, it has to be seen to have a value beyond (somewhat myopic) value derived by individual programming mercenaries.
>
> Within the  organization I work for, we have used Erlang for every project since 2002 (and there's been many projects since, and many more to come). Currently we are on average 30% cheaper than our competitors (that are using Java, etc.) and, mind you,  still making a reasonable profit that allowed our organization to grow.
>

>> Short version:  If I were hiring for a project that was inherently concurrent, and required 24x7 operation - I'd be LOOKING for Erlang on a resume.  Someone who spent most of their time coding Java would be a non-starter.
>
> Indeed, for as long as this project may be realized with reduced cost, as a consequence of being more appropriate than Java equivalent.
> But, also, the fact that one knows Erlang, does not mean that such a person knows how to put it to good use.
>
> Kind reagards
>
> V/

Loïc Hoguin
http://ninenines.eu