[erlang-questions] Version numbering scheme change and the implication / Re: [ANN] Erlang/OTP 17.0-rc1 has been released.

Rickard Green rickard@REDACTED
Fri Feb 14 01:43:23 CET 2014

>> When branching out, we add ".1" at the end of <X>.<Y>.<Z>, unless
>> this version number has already been used. If it has already been
>> used, we search for an unused version number by adding more and more
>> ".0" between the version we are branching from, and the ".1" that we
>> add at the end. For example, 17.0.1.1, 17.0.1.0.1, 17.0.1.0.0.1, and
>> 17.0.1.0.0.0.1 are all versions of modifications based on version
>> 17.0.1.
>
> I can follow the rest of your email, but can you provide some real
> life examples for the case of inserting 0 upon branching?

The version numbers above would be used if we need to publish four
separate fixes and:
- each one of them needs to be based on 17.0.1
- 17.0.2 has already been published
- each fix is only allowed to include specific changes

Another scenario could be that we need to publish a sequence of four fixes and:
- the first fix needs to be based on 17.0.1
- 17.0.2 has already been published
In this case we would use versions 17.0.1.1, 17.0.1.2, 17.0.1.3, and 17.0.1.4.

>From time to time we have requirements like this, however, not to
nearly as extreme as having to branch four times from the same
version.

Regards,
Rickard Green, Erlang/OTP, Ericsson AB.