[erlang-questions] Time for OTP to be Renamed?

Fred Hebert mononcqc@REDACTED
Thu Feb 13 19:41:59 CET 2014

Again, I'd be happy to see that changing the name has a positive effect.

For business, the biggest argument, I believe is indeed hiring before
the name. There are not that many Erlang devs -- even your employer, EA,
used to have an Erlang team, and as far as I know and heard from rumors,
they shut down the team after having hiring problems, but this is
third-hand information. Businesses that are willing to allow remote
workers have more of a chance, but to be able to hire Erlang devs
locally is quite a challenge. Nevermind finding an ops team ready to
support the language and its platform.

Back when I started Erlang, I thought the problem was accessibility, so
I set up to work on LYSE. It probably helped a bit, but didn't solve all
of it, far from it.

Before then, the problem was having any book at all, conferences, a
place for the community, etc. These have all been added. Then it was
about how open (or little so) Erlang was, and it moved to github and
then started accepting pull requests. That brought some speed to the
language still, but hey, no popularity problem solved. We organized
Spawnfests (coding contests) two years in a row to try and help until
our team of volunteers ran out of time. That was okay, but not the whole
thing.

At some point the issue was needing a killer app. Eventually Erlang got
to power facebook chat, EA's WorldPoker tournament software, CouchDB
(which was even shipped with all Ubuntu CDs for a while, and on the
BlackBerry SDK), Ubuntu One, Riak, Amazon software (SimpleDB), Heroku's
router, videogame chat systems in at least 3 companies, Telecom systems
for phone calls and SMS, real-time bidding stacks for advertisers
(there's easily a dozen of them doing it), DNS servers, Whatsapp
servers, and it's used for internal projects at Apple, and Klarna is a
European bank that runs Erlang at its core, and Goldman Sachs has had
long trials after some of the Erlang code they ran had left the company
in the hands of employees.

Turns out that even though all these corporations and apps have Erlang
inside, that doesn't boost up adoption majorly either.

There have also been talk about IDEs (which were never good enough),
build tools (which were never good enough), more accessible
documentation and other things (which were also never good enough, I
guess).

My point ultimately is that yes, the OTP name isn't really great. And it
would probably help a few newcomers to have something that doesn't
mention 'Telecom'. I definitely agree there.

I don't think it's what limited the adoption in big corporations. It
actually entered a crapload of big corporation and keeps getting in more
of them. For the parts of these companies it's ingrained in, it's
actually very hard to get rid of it because it does a good job and is
cheap to operate.

The problem has been in growing the usage within the confines of these
corporations past the skunkworks. Erlang has been used in skunkworks
projects or extremely domain-specific projects for a long, long time,
but hasn't readily made it out of there.

While it would help, I somehow just don't think the 'T' in 'OTP' is all
that significant when it comes to management and staffing. I think what
you're likely to hear is really "But we don't have developers using
Erlang. Who is going to work on that? Can't we just use
<LanguageWeCurrentlyUse> instead? That would be much simpler", nevermind
the operations teams not always willing to go and deal with Erlang
deploys, whether they are live or not.

I encourage and wish the best of luck to the people who'll do the work
in renaming OTP whenever that happens. I'll update LYSE's website
accordingly if it gets in and hope for the best, but I won't hold my
breath. Any progress is good progress, however, and I welcome it.

Regards,
Fred.