[erlang-questions] Time for OTP to be Renamed?

Thomas Lindgren thomasl_erlang@REDACTED
Thu Feb 13 13:11:04 CET 2014

Regarding teaching erlang/OTP, I think this one is nice:

http://www.amazon.com/Erlang-OTP-Action-Martin-Logan/dp/1933988789/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1392292179&sr=1-1

Diving into OTP is a bit messy, but in the larger scheme of things it doesn't make sense to hide one of the main features of practical erlang programming. (I wouldn't mind a more elegant OTP on the other hand, but we're getting there.)

By the way, since you mention e2, here's a little project to fast-forward the simple uses of applications and supervisors: https://github.com/thomasl/gen_app

Example:
gen_app:app_sup(testapp, [{sup, my_sup}]).
This starts a (dynamic) application testapp running a supervisor my_sup without children. You can also easily start more complex things like supervisor trees with various strategies, including the classic supervised gen_server, and much more. Note that what's often a couple of boilerplate modules are replaced by a few lines.

I'm currently debugging, pondering the API and looking at how to specify more complex cases like the ssl application in this framework.

(PS. You will probably have to massage the Makefile a little bit to build, sorry. See the link for more.)

Best,
Thomas