[erlang-questions] Time for OTP to be Renamed?

Loïc Hoguin essen@REDACTED
Thu Feb 13 13:05:00 CET 2014

On 02/13/2014 12:55 PM, Benoit Chesneau wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 13, 2014 at 12:01 PM, Loïc Hoguin <essen@REDACTED> wrote:
>> No I'm serious, you can use Erlang without OTP.
>
> maybe but who is doing it today? Or rather what are the selling points
> of just using Erlang without OTP?

I believe I answered that in the conclusion to my email. Nobody does it
today because it would take an immense amount of time and effort to
essentially replicate OTP.

But if I wanted to, for example, create a new concurrent language on top
of the BEAM VM, that's exactly what I would do, as cleaning up the many
inconsistencies in the API would definitely be worth the effort.
Otherwise it's just a different syntax for Erlang.

Or if I wanted to use Erlang for writing small administration scripts
that's probably also what I would do, as the fast boot is a really
important feature there.

I'm sure you can come up with other ideas where doing that would be
interesting.

--
Loïc Hoguin
http://ninenines.eu