[erlang-questions] Time for OTP to be Renamed?

Loïc Hoguin essen@REDACTED
Thu Feb 13 12:03:49 CET 2014

Oops, one small fix.

On 02/13/2014 12:01 PM, Loïc Hoguin wrote:
> No I'm serious, you can use Erlang without OTP. When the VM starts it
> loads the boot file which contains instructions on what modules to
> preload, what applications to start and so on. Make an empty boot file

   ^^^^^^^ I meant *load*. The VM will have a few modules preloaded
regardless of the boot file.

> [...]
>
> You could also create your own framework and use it instead of OTP. Even
> better, you could do something like Wayland is doing with Xorg, have
> your own framework be started as the "master" and then make it start OTP
> and make them run side by side.
>
> It's only an interesting thought, of course, because it would take an
> immense amount of time to get it as reliable as OTP.
>
> On 02/13/2014 10:51 AM, Garrett Smith wrote:
>> Sigh. This *is* confusing. It just is.
>>
>> Loïc you *cannot* use Erlang without OTP. The VM starts a system,
>> which consists of applications, which are supervisory trees of
>> gen_servers.
>>
>> Supervisors are gen_servers btw.
>>
>> If you think OTP is optional, look at the first two lines of kernel.erl:
>>
>>      -module(kernel).
>>      -behaviour(supervisor).
>>
>> Historically, OTP libraries came after Erlang the language, of course,
>> but this so called OTP "framework" is now endemic to Erlang.
>>
>> What sucks IMO is that OTP is treated as "advanced" by the community
>> and by book authors. I understand the history of this, but there's a
>> cost: programmers delay learning core Erlang principles of
>> *applications* -- i.e. supervisor trees -- because it's not taught up.
>> It's also incredibly complicated, if you don't use e2.
>>
>> The irony is that *advanced* Erlang programmers can get away
>> programming outside the OTP guard rails. Beginners should not even
>> consider doing this until they understand why OTP works and why they
>> should deviate.
>>
>> e2 helps, a lot.
>>
>> The whole point of e2 is to simplify the correct use of OTP -- letting
>> programmers *start* with applications, supervisors and gen_servers (in
>> e2 they're called services and tasks -- simple huh). I know it's
>> controversial, but it's controversial to those who have been teaching
>> Erlang while this stuff was being baked. I don't run into new learners
>> who object to starting with OTP using e2 (though maybe they're just
>> being polite -- if you're out there and had problems learning with e2,
>> please drop me a line, or yell at me here).
>>
>> I agree wholeheartedly with Pieter. It's just Erlang. Keeping the term
>> OTP is a historic vestige. We're used to it, but it's a dead weight
>> that adds only confusion.
>>
>> The Ruby / Rails comparison is not accurate. It's more like Rails 1.0
>> / Rails 2.0.
>>
>> Sadly though, I just don't see "OTP" going away because there's a
>> trickle of noise from this list :|
>>
>> I make videos to cope.

>>> Is that what OTP is used as?  I thought OTP was a set (or framework, or
>>> platform) of libraries (behaviours, supervision, etc.) that
>>> facilitate the
>>> development of highly scalable and reliable applications (telecoms-grade
>>> scalability and reliability you might say).  AFAIK it's open-source.
>>>
>>> Yes, let's rename it to something that more closely reflects what it
>>> is.  How about the "Open-source Telecoms-grade reliability and
>>> scalability
>>> Platform"?
>>>
>>> Ivan
>>>

>>> --
>>> Ivan A. Uemlianin PhD
>>> Llaisdy
>>> Speech Technology Research and Development
>>>
>>>                      ivan@REDACTED
>>>                       www.llaisdy.com
>>>                           llaisdy.wordpress.com
>>>                github.com/llaisdy