[erlang-questions] 0MQ libraries

Joe Armstrong erlang@REDACTED
Sun Feb 9 14:04:31 CET 2014

On Sat, Feb 8, 2014 at 7:49 PM, Serge Aleynikov <serge@REDACTED> wrote:

> Just to add a piece of history - I was an author of the original
> driver-based implementation of the Erlang ZMQ binding (
> https://github.com/zeromq/erlzmq), which got more or less obsolete after
> Yurii Rashkovskii implemented his NIF-based version (
> https://github.com/zeromq/erlzmq2).
>
> Concerning your question, I haven't had a use for this project for a
> while, but if there is anyone wishing to join the project and bring it up
> to date that would be great.  Though I agree that a pure-Erlang wire-level
> implementation would be of greater interest.

I'm only interested in the pure erlang solution. NIFs worry me. They break
the guarantees, they muck
up the scheduler and so on. They should only be used when you've tried very
very very vary hard
not to use them.

In the problem I want to solve I don't expect communication to be a
bottleneck.

I'd like a 100% correct Erlang reference implementation of 0MQ. This (if
done) might have the interesting
side effect that it could be used (say with quick check)  test the
C-implementations of 0MQ.

Cheers

/Joe