[erlang-questions] Version numbering scheme change and the implication / Re: [ANN] Erlang/OTP 17.0-rc1 has been released.

Thomas Lindgren thomasl_erlang@REDACTED
Fri Feb 7 17:36:19 CET 2014

"    1> erlang:system_info(otp_release).
    "17"
    2> erlang:system_info(otp_correction_package).
    "17.0-rc1"

NOTE: The name of the argument "otp_correction_package" will be changed
to "otp_version.""

Any possibility of changing the naming conventions to something more easily memorized?  For example, otp_major_release ("17") vs otp_release ("17.0-rc1"). (Presumably, the second one is the one people will usually want to know?)

Not to say I'm committed to what I just proposed, but I just know I shall evermore have to consult the manual to get otp_release and otp_version straight.

(Also, consider if there ever were to be a second supplier of erlang. Wouldn't it be better to use option names that do not include "otp" to get this information?)

Best,
Thomas

We changed the version scheme for two reasons: For the first, we