[erlang-questions] Indentation of multiline strings

Steve Vinoski vinoski@REDACTED
Fri Feb 7 17:17:08 CET 2014

On Fri, Feb 7, 2014 at 10:48 AM, Loïc Hoguin <essen@REDACTED> wrote:

> One small comment.
>

> On 02/07/2014 04:27 PM, Steve Vinoski wrote:
>
>> I believe most of the OTP team
>>

> Yes, all except one I think.
>

>  most of the Erlang community uses emacs and erlang-mode
>>

> That might not be true anymore, and as Erlang gets increasingly popular it
> will be less and less true. Most new people I see just stick to their
> favorite editor. Most people I interact with don't use emacs, they use vim
> or sublime2. A poll could be interesting.

Another consideration I forgot to mention is that I assume that a goal of
the formatting specification and any tools that implement it would be that
they would be capable of reformatting most of the existing OTP code such
that the only changes would be whitespace changes, e.g. turning tabs into
spaces or removing trailing whitespace. This assumption is based on the
notion of being able to format code before commit in a way that avoids
non-whitespace changes that are irrelevant to the functionality of the
patch. If this assumption is valid, then given that most of the OTP code
was likely written in emacs and formatted with erlang-mode, it's best to
use it as the starting point.

--steve