[erlang-questions] Controversial subject of the day: tabs and spaces for indentation

Benoit Chesneau bchesneau@REDACTED
Thu Feb 6 10:39:55 CET 2014

On Thu, Feb 6, 2014 at 10:12 AM, Vlad Dumitrescu <vladdu55@REDACTED> wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 6, 2014 at 9:38 AM, Loïc Hoguin <essen@REDACTED> wrote:
> > The contributor can quickly see if they broke whitespace after submitting
> > the PR on github by looking at the diff tab. I'm always surprised when
> > people submit a PR with obviously broken whitespace and do nothing about
> it
> > until I point it out.
>
> As an interesting anecdote, yesterday I managed somehow to produce a
> patch that looked good on github, but not in emacs... So unfortunately
> it seems that checking GH might not be enough (at least not when not
> using emacs in the first place).
>

> There are also differences between a `git diff` and github display
sometimes...

For myself I am surprised by the number of project owner not describing the
standard they are following but expecting that others are following it.
Which create frustration on each parts.

This why the gofmt tool or pep8 (even if I hate this one) are good. They
allows a lot of people using the same language to follow the same
guidelines. And provides tools to automatically fix them when needed. it
removes a lot of frustration from each parts.

- benoit