[erlang-questions] Controversial subject of the day: tabs and spaces for indentation

Garrett Smith g@REDACTED
Wed Feb 5 20:27:41 CET 2014

On Wed, Feb 5, 2014 at 1:24 PM, Vlad Dumitrescu <vladdu55@REDACTED> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 5, 2014 at 8:18 PM, Garrett Smith <g@REDACTED> wrote:
>> It seems to me that this problem is easily solved by inverting the interests:
>>
>> - Fix erlang-mode to default to all spaces
>>
>> - OTP team includes the appropriate Emacs code headers in the source
>> files (or the dot file in the source root directory as Magnus just
>> pointed out) and leave them horribly formatted, per their preference
>>
>> Does this not trivially solve the world's Erlang indent problems?
>
> Unfortunately, no. If I make a patch without emacs, my editor will
> still use something else than a mix of tabs and spaces, so it will
> have to be OTP-ified by hand (copying indentation from other lines) or
> by running it through emacs just for that.
>
> Which, in a funny turn of events, brings me to a question related to
> the previous "holy war": can emacs open, reindent and save files in
> bach mode? That would indeed help! (even if one would still have to
> install emacs).

This seems like a problem that can be confined to the OTP team and
process, which is I think is a pretty small subset of all erlang-mode
users, no? And changing erlang-mode to default to spaces doesn't make
this worse does it?

Garrett