[erlang-questions] r17 beam compatibility

Magnus Henoch magnus@REDACTED
Tue Feb 4 15:27:28 CET 2014

Magnus Henoch <magnus@REDACTED> writes:

> Vlad Dumitrescu <vladdu55@REDACTED> writes:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> This is difficult to test comprehensively, so I wil ask: Are there any
>> changes in the BEAM format in R16 and R17, so that one can't run these
>> newer beams on R15?
>>
>> I know it's not a very good idea, but I might be forced to do that... Or I
>> will have to work around the problem somehow.
>
> According to the comments in genop.tab, there are five new opcodes in
> R16, but none in 17.0:
>
> https://github.com/erlang/otp/blob/OTP_17.0-rc1/lib/compiler/src/genop.tab#L528-L538

... though on closer inspection, it seems like that comment is
misleading: those opcodes were added in 17.0, which suggests that code
compiled with R16 should run on R15, and code compiled with R17 should
run on R15 as long as it doesn't use maps.

Regards,
Magnus