[erlang-questions] Google Summer of Code 2014 with the BEAM Community

José Valim jose.valim@REDACTED
Tue Feb 4 11:33:52 CET 2014

Hello everyone,

Last year we have created the BEAM Community organization meant to host
different projects that run on the Erlang VM. We had 6 students working on
different projects during the summer, like Elixir, Disco, Mongoose IM and
others.

The Google Summer of Code 2014 has just announced they are looking for
organizations to participate in this year edition. Historically, Google has
given higher preference for umbrella organizations and therefore we will
participate this year again!

The BEAM Community website for 2014 is online:
http://beamcommunity.github.io/

The first step is to gather a set of projects that are interested in taking
part of the BEAM Community. So if you run a project in the Erlang VM and
you are interested in mentoring a student during the summer, please send me
an e-mail! At this stage, all we need is the project name and a list of
ideas / proposals for students to work on. You can use the ideas from last
year as inspiration /
template<https://github.com/beamcommunity/beamcommunity.github.com/blob/master/2013/Home.md>
.

We are planning to host 6 projects, the same amount as last year and the
deadline for joining us / putting up your list of ideas is 11th February.
Google's deadline is 14th february but we need some time to put everything
together. The full program timetable can be found online
too<http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/events/google/gsoc2014>
!

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.
You may also ask projects that took part last year if you are interested on
how the program works.

I'm looking forward to another great summer!

*José Valim www.plataformatec.com.br <http://www.plataformatec.com.br/>
Founder and Lead Developer*