[erlang-questions] Version numbering scheme change and the implication / Re: [ANN] Erlang/OTP 17.0-rc1 has been released.

Vlad Dumitrescu vladdu55@REDACTED
Mon Feb 3 11:06:25 CET 2014

Hi!

I assume that the philosophy behind the version numbering of OTP hasn't
changed, only the format of it. However, a specification of how to
interpret version changes would be very helpful. As Anthony stated, it is
important how similar it is to semantic versioning.

* Will version changes in applications propagate to the OTP level, like for
semantic versioning?

* If yes above: OTP contains besides the core applications even tools and
libs that are loosely related. Will all applications be treated the same,
for example will a new major version of, say, eunit require updating the
major version of OTP?

* Will parts beyond the normal x.y.z be treated like in SemVer? I.e.
version X-rc1 sorts before X. Will there be "+something" parts too?

best regards,
Vlad