[erlang-questions] [ANN] Erlang/OTP 17.0-rc1 has been released.

Mark Nijhof mark.nijhof@REDACTED
Sat Feb 1 18:30:18 CET 2014

Hi Joe (and the rest of the list),

Ok right up front, I'm not a Guru, I have only been working with Erlang for
about 7 happy months :-)

I have a question about the "Records are dead - long live maps" statement
you make in your post. One of the nice things I like about records is is
that they are a "typed" collection of key->value pairs. When I pass a
record around I can look up the definition and know what I can and cannot
do with it, and also see what a function expects. Also pattern matching
purely on the record type is a great initial filter. When I look at maps
they look more like a proplist replacement, something that is just as
flexible (more so I guess) but with better usage?

So the question really is, how do you see maps replacing records? Would we
add a map_type property to the map to distinguish between different maps?
Or purely on it's data structure it self?

If this is a silly question then I am happy to read about it in one of your
awesome rants.

-Mark

On Sat, Feb 1, 2014 at 5:34 PM, Joe Armstrong <erlang@REDACTED> wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 31, 2014 at 10:51 PM, Kenneth Lundin <kenneth.lundin@REDACTED
> > wrote:
>
>> Erlang/OTP 17.0-rc1 has been released.
>>

> Fantastic - great - this is a major change to Erlang.
>
> I've written an article that documents the biggest changes.
>
> Big changes to Erlang
> http://joearms.github.com/2014/02/01/big-changes-to-erlang.html
>
> Cheers
>
> /Joe
>

>>  This is an alpha release, which will be followed by a planned beta
>> release about a month later and a final
>> OTP 17.0 product release in the end of March 26, 2014.
>> Between the alpha and beta and final release there will be new updates of
>> the master branch with corrections
>> and minor new features. Occasionally there might be new tags which we in
>> that
>> case will communicate and ask you to test.
>>
>> Erlang/OTP 17.0 is a new major release with new features, quite a few
>> (characteristics) improvements,
>> as well as some incompatibilities. See the README file and the
>> documentation for more details.
>>
>> We would like to ask you to download and test the alpha release and send
>> us your feedback as soon as possible,
>> so that we can make the necessary corrections before OTP 17.0-rc2 and OTP
>> 17.0, respectively.
>> The release contains many changes; thus, some unexpected
>> incompatibilities or issues may have slipped through
>> our tests. Please try to build and run your current products/applications
>> and let us know about any problems.
>>
>> Note! The new datatype MAP is not properly documented yet but the EEP 43
>> http://www.erlang.org/eeps/eep-0043.html
>> will provide a good start. Also note that it is a limited implementation
>> of maps implemented so far:
>>
>>     - no variable keys are allowed
>>     - native code can not be generated for modules using maps
>>
>> Some other highlights of the release are:
>>
>>     - Maps, a new dictionary data type (experimental)
>>     - A more natural mapping from ASN.1 OCTET STRING and BIT STRING to
>> Erlang types,
>>       and other ASN.1 improvements and optimizations
>>     - The {active, N} socket option for TCP, UDP, and SCTP
>>     - A new (optional) scheduler utilization balancing mechanism
>>     - Migration of memory carriers has been enabled by default on all
>> ERTS internal
>>       memory allocators
>>     - Increased garbage collection tenure rate
>>     - Experimental "dirty schedulers" functionality
>>     - Funs can now be given names
>>     - Miscellaneous unicode support enhancements
>>     - A new, semantic version scheme for OTP and its applications
>>
>> You can find the README file with more detailed info at
>>
>>   http://www.erlang.org/download/otp_src_17.0-rc1.readme
>>
>> You can download the full source distribution from
>>
>>   http://www.erlang.org/download/otp_src_17.0-rc1.tar.gz
>>   http://www.erlang.org/download/otp_src_17.0-rc1.readme (this file)
>>
>> Note: To unpack the TAR archive you need a GNU TAR compatible program.

> [...]

Mark Nijhof
t:   @MarkNijhof <https://twitter.com/MarkNijhof>
s:  marknijhof