[erlang-questions] Are binaries relocatable?

Hynek Vychodil vychodil.hynek@REDACTED
Sat Aug 30 07:07:06 CEST 2014

Thanks for your answer very much. If I understand it correctly this way it
should be safe:

     ErlNifBinary bin;
     if (!enif_is_binary(env, argv[0]))
         return enif_make_badarg(env);

     ErlNifEnv *priv_env = enif_alloc_env();
     ERL_NIF_TERM term = enif_make_copy(priv_env, argv[0]);
     ErlNifBinary bin;
     enif_inspect_binary(priv_env, term, &bin);
     entry->content.bin = (struct my_bin){.env = priv_env, .size =
bin.size, .data = bin.data};

And now mine entry->content.bin.data should be safe but unfortunately it
still eventually hangs whole VM after few thousands cycles of referencing
this data

        CacheEntryRes_t *res = enif_alloc_resource(dc_entry_type,
sizeof(CacheEntryRes_t));
        unless (res) return insufficient_memory(env);
        res->entry = entry;
        ERL_NIF_TERM result = enif_make_resource_binary(env, res,
                entry->content.bin.data, entry->content.bin.size);
        enif_release_resource(res);
        return result;

I do mine own reference count and release by

       enif_free_env(entry->content.bin.env);

It hangs only if I replace enif_alloc() + memcpy() and enif_free() version
with above one :-(

Thanks
     Hynek