[erlang-questions] A modest proposal to eliminate tuples

Richard A. O'Keefe ok@REDACTED
Thu Aug 28 01:58:15 CEST 2014

On 28/08/2014, at 8:44 AM, Chris Pacejo wrote:

> But now that maps have been officially introduced, popular opinion
> seems to overwhelmingly be leaning in the direction of utilizing maps
> for both values with a static (keys known at compile time)
> heterogeneous (differing types of values) structure, and values with a
> dynamic (keys determined at runtime) homogeneous (single type of
> values) structure.  For the same reasons that tuples and lists are
> (rightly) kept separate (namely declaration of intent, ability to
> typecheck, and efficiency of implementation), I strongly believe that
> these two use cases of "map-like-things" should be kept separate.

That was the key point in the frames proposal, with frames
being the "static heterogeneous" case.  I am frankly ****ed off
that maps **** all over that distinction and I have seen no
numbers to show that maps can be as efficient as frames for
the purpose frames were designed to serve.