[erlang-questions] divrem eep?

Björn-Egil Dahlberg egil@REDACTED
Thu Aug 21 15:18:54 CEST 2014

On 2014-08-21 13:36, Tony Rogvall wrote:

> On 21 aug 2014, at 12:34, Björn-Egil Dahlberg <egil@REDACTED
> <mailto:egil@REDACTED>> wrote:
>
>> On 2014-08-21 12:11, Tony Rogvall wrote:
>>> May I suggest a two stage commit, in the good old OTP way?
>>>
>>> - First step is to implement a fairly simple bif that call the
>>> functionality I really want to get
>>> (the remainder when doing bignum div calculations.)
>>>
>>> This includes  the work of checking special considerations with GC.
>>> It works now, but
>>> needs more testing. As an example, I needed to blank the memory
>>> between the quotient
>>> and the remainder in the case when both quotient and reminder where
>>> both bignums.
>>> (It should not really be needed, but I think the debug compiled
>>> emulator/gc expect everything to be super clean?)
>>>
>>> - Seconds step is to use the previous work and implement an
>>> instruction that can be
>>> used instead of call erlang:divrem when possible. This instruction
>>> needs a couple of
>>> variants I guess: One that return a tuple and one that store
>>> remainder in
>>> a X register as instructed by compiler.
>>>
>>> What about that ?
>>
>> Please, not an additional BIF.
>>
> Why not? What is the problem ?

My issue is that we are already littering erts with BIFs and several of
them are probably unnecessary.

>> Do an optimization pass in beam-assembler to rewrite the two
>> gc-bif-instructions to a single divrem instruction. Or better, yet ..
>> just reorder them so you can please the loader and rewrite it in the
>> load-step. No need for an additional assembly instruction in the
>> compiler, just a specific instruction in the beam which is optimized
>> with a load trick.
>>
> I think one boring thing with this is that I need then to be dependent
> on that the compiler is smart enough to figure
> this out (even if I have to implement it my self ;-)
> How can a user be sure that the compiler really this optimisation? I
> think at least Björn G used to have
> thought about having to smart compilers ?

I think compilers should be smart and Erlangs compiler should be smarter
than it is today. I don't know why you say Björn G. is against smart
compilers. I don't presume to speak for him but he has implemented
optimization passes for bitsyntax and ref-sends for instance, and that
is kind of smart don't you think?

There are of course several way one might implement a divrem
optimization. And it is an optimization and should thusly be treated as
such.

Let's assume we implement an erlang:divrem/2 BIF which returns a two-tuple.
A late pass in core erlang should recognize erlang:divrem/2 and
translate it to a primop with two return values.
In addition to that pass you may also have an earlier pass that
recognizes the div rem operators and translate them to a divrem BIF so
old code can benefit from this without rewriting the code.

The primop will be translated to a multiple Dst beam assembly code in
v3_codegen .. and the loader just make a normal instruction for it.

The BIF will never enter into the equation unless you do apply .. but
you could implement divrem(A,B) -> {A div B, A rem B}. in the erlang
module and the optimizer would take care of it for you. You will of
course build the tuple in that case.

This whole thing reduces the divrem BIF to a placeholder, you still need
the functionality of course but it will be implemented solely in the
instruction. In other words, the BIF is unnecessary, just do it in the
compiler and implement it as an instruction.

Furthermore, do away with the placeholder BIF and the pass to rewrite
the divrem to a primop. Instead, recognize the occurrences of div rem
operators and replace *them* with the primop instead.

If you fear the optimization will not take, just do erlc +S and look for
it .. just like for any other compiler.

But you know all this .. you are just yanking my chain =)

I say yes to a divrem optimization, it will probably help a few
libraries. We have a couple in OTP that would surely benefit from it.
I say no to a BIF since it is completely unnecessary .. especially since
it is an optimization.

// Björn-Egil