[erlang-questions] Inter-node communication bottleneck

Alexander Petrovsky askjuise@REDACTED
Wed Aug 20 12:11:07 CEST 2014

Hello!

Have you tried to use:

#  erl ... inet_default_connect_options '[{delay_send, true}]'
 inet_default_listen_options '[{delay_send, true}]'

?

> Hi,
>
> There is a prior discusson[1] about inter-node communication bottleneck,
> and I experienced same issue on inter-node messaging. I dig into the
> issue and it found that there is a lock on inter-node messaging[2] which
> causes bottleneck on sending messages to single node. With simple
> experiment, I found that there is a limitation on number of messages per
> second, not bandwidth. 1Gbps link could be easily satuated by messaging
> betweeen two erlang nodes if message size is large enough, e.g. 4KB
> binary message. However if message is small, e.g. single integer term,
> number of messages per seconds is limited about 200~300k/sec.
>
> Is there any effort to solve the problem? In fact the problem could be
> solved by using external channel like multiple TCP connection pool for
> rpc, but I believe using erlang messaging keeps code much simpler.
> Actually for me the problem is quite embrassing, because I thought
> scalable messaging is a key feature and strength of Erlang.
>

> [1] http://erlang.org/pipermail/erlang-questions/2013-December/076232.html
> [2]
> https://github.com/erlang/otp/blob/OTP-17.1/erts/emulator/beam/dist.c#L1768-L1826

Петровский Александр / Alexander Petrovsky,

Skype: askjuise
Phone: +7 914 8 820 815