[erlang-questions] Potion: was "Erlang for youngsters"

Mahesh Paolini-Subramanya mahesh@REDACTED
Sun Aug 17 13:33:59 CEST 2014

In this vein, take a peek at Sam Aaron's talk from CodeMesh 2013 -->
http://vimeo.com/85930562
TL;DR --> The ability to generate music has kids writing Clojure in Emacs
in virtually no time.
Ok. its a bit more than that - the kids don't particularly care about the
"Clojure" part or the "Emacs" part - but they do, deeply, care about the
"generating music" part - and the "Clojure" / "Emacs" part is just the
means to the end.

As Ivan pointed out, the key is learner motivation, something that a lot of
us have forgotten along the way.
Remember the awesomeness of Apple II and BASIC? Especially when you
discovered what you could do with PEEK, POKE, and sprites? (Yes, dating
myself)
Or the equivalent awesomeness of ASCII art and line-printers (Yes, more
dating).
The point is - in both case, you didn't give a s**t about the _computer_ -
it was computer games, and art, that was the key...

Cheers

p.s. For bonus dating-credit, the sheer-joy of realizing that the
line-printers could be used to play music - depending on the line that was
printerd, you could get different frequencies. Awesome! (The Indian
National Anthem was one of the first things that you'd learn to play...)

*Mahesh Paolini-Subramanya
<http://www.gravatar.com/avatar/204a87f81a0d9764c1f3364f53e8facf.png>That
tall bald Indian guy..*
*Google+ <https://plus.google.com/u/0/108074935470209044442/posts>  | Blog