[erlang-questions] Poll: How do you handle spurious messages?

Florian Waas flw@REDACTED
Thu Aug 7 05:09:44 CEST 2014

Actually, I think we're very much on the same page here: I really meant it
when I said "crash for anything that breaks the contract" -- if your
environment requires to take into account stray messages, then by all means
take care of them. In closed enterprise software systems, your contract
often is much(!) tighter and cracking down on stray messages is usually
highly desirable.

If SSL spams my inbox I certainly want to know where it comes from, whether
it has potential to clog up a process, needs attention, etc. and if I
figure it's safe to discard this kind of message, then make a deliberate
decision to do so. However, discarding all unexpected message because of
this might be less than ideal.

-fl.