[erlang-questions] R16 + Centos + Crypto + ESL Package

Scott Lystig Fritchie fritchie@REDACTED
Fri Aug 1 08:05:44 CEST 2014

Данила Федящин <danilagamma@REDACTED> wrote:

dg> Hello, During our work on migration from R14B04 to R16B03-1 we hit
dg> the problem with `crypto` on `CentOS [...]

Hi!  I just discovered the same thing yesterday, for a completely
different reason.  And some of Basho's Riak 2.0.0 release candidate
packages are affected(*), hooray that they aren't final yet.

The autoconf toolchain seems to go to great lengths to disable all -O
compiler optimizations whenever the CFLAGS environment variable is
specified, regardless of what it's set to?  There really *are* times
where we want to have symbols in the executables & libraries without
also disabling optimizations.  In my case, I simply want to add "-g" to
the CFLAGS & LDFLAGS so that the Linux "perf" tool suite would have some
extra symbols available.  The same applies when using DTrace: without
symbols, user stack traces via D's ustack() function lose most of their
value.

This feels like a toolchain bug ... or, at the very least a very
surprising(**) change of behavior.

-Scott

(*) The Riak 2.0.0 release candidate for CentOS 6 has an Erlang/OTP VM
compiled to work around the very crypto problem that Danila is also
working around.  The same Configure script + CFLAGS="-DOPENSSL_NO_EC=1"
method is used by our release team.

(**) Yes, I know that compiler optimizations can confuse someone using a
symbolic debugger like GDB ... and that's probably why the toolchain is
removing all -O in invocations?