[erlang-questions] Terminate process if it is slow at receiving messages

Michael Truog mjtruog@REDACTED
Fri Sep 20 20:14:37 CEST 2013

Polling the message_queue_len of an Erlang pid is sort of like trying to catch a falling knife, and it is wasteful, processing time-wise.  If you could set a limit on the message queue size of an Erlang pid, that might help, but it doesn't really help you handle error conditions.  The best solution is to queue the messages you care about, within the Erlang pid's data, if they can't be handled immediately, so it becomes a queueing problem.

To handle slow clients, you just give each client a timeout value.  The OTP/Erlang source code doesn't decrement timeout values as time elapses, so it is possible that a timeout doesn't terminate a message call path in a way consistent with the timeout value.  The top-level function call throws an exception, but other pids may continue to execute despite the timeout expiration.  Often, people don't care about the timeout value not handling cumulative delay.  If you do care about handling cumulative delay, you should look at my open source project here http://cloudi.org , since CloudI services handle the timeout decrements and the queueing (if you would want the most accurate timeout adjustments possible, there are CloudI service options for that here: https://github.com/okeuday/CloudI/blob/master/src/lib/cloudi_core/src/cloudi_configuration.hrl#L78).