[erlang-questions] Problem with Beam process not freeing memory

Michael Truog mjtruog@REDACTED
Tue Sep 17 17:31:32 CEST 2013

erlang:garbage_collect/0,1 existing is nice, but using it seems to only form a kludge.  It seems much better to focus on having short-lived Erlang processes to capture the last reference to generated binaries (that are large enough to be reference counted, so greater than 64 bytes).  The pid options for fullsweep, hibernate, erts command line options, and perhaps erlang:garbage_collect/0,1 usage, seems more like tuning for performance based on usage.  Using short-lived processes in Erlang is using Erlang for what it is good at.... why would you fight that by having code blow-up memory-wise by leaving long-lived Erlang processes in your source code?

This usage of short-lived processes is what concerns me when we talk about how Erlang pids are limited to 2^28 unique pids per node (i.e., 28 bits, not yet changed to be 60 bits), but it is good that the new algorithm for pid reuse in R16B01 will support this approach (i.e., the Erlang pid per rpc-call approach). (details are from the "pid representation in external term format" email thread)