[erlang-questions] Monitoring

Garrett Smith g@REDACTED
Sun Sep 15 19:55:27 CEST 2013

Hi Lee,

I put this into a general systems management category -- so whatever
you do for other daemons/services you might want to do for Erlang.

I have had success with runit and systemd -- using these for whole
system init and supervision.

One of the problems with pidfiles is that they eventually lie to you,
which is hurtful.

There's a school of though that says always run a service as a
foreground process -- never in the background. runit e.g. prefers this
approach. I use run_erl for this:

http://www.erlang.org/doc/man/run_erl.html

There are some here who will tell you not to use run_erl. Though I
believe it's safe to ignore their advice on this point :)

Garrett

On Sun, Sep 15, 2013 at 9:38 AM, Lee Sylvester <lee.sylvester@REDACTED> wrote:
> Thanks guys.  I've just discovered erld.  I'm going to give it a whirl, but will fall back to heart if it doesn't fulfil my needs ;-)
>
> Regards,
> Lee
>

> On 15 Sep 2013, at 15:37, Dmitry Kolesnikov <dmkolesnikov@REDACTED> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am using "heart" (erlang native) to monitor node and repair it damage. It works very well in our production, I am very positive about it. Of course it do not help on host crash. The host health is monitored using state-of-ther art technology (e.g. ZenOss)
>>
>> - Dmitry
>>
>> On Sep 15, 2013, at 4:44 PM, Lee Sylvester <lee.sylvester@REDACTED> wrote:
>>
>>> Hey guys,
>>>
>>> So, I want to monitor my Erlang apps.  Currently, I'm using Monit to monitor my other (non-Erlang) apps.  Can I hook Monit up to monitor my Erlang apps, too?  If so, what is the best to get the PID of the running Erlang app, so I can monitor it?  I've tried to do this with a service script, but querying $! reveals nothing and there are just too many apps supporting my Erlang app to keep track of.  If Monit is NOT the best option, then what is?
>>>
>>> Thanks for all the help
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Lee