[erlang-questions] pid representation in external term format

Rickard Green rickard@REDACTED
Fri Sep 13 18:27:30 CEST 2013

Up to somewhere around the R9 release pids were composed by a 15 bit
index into the process table and a 3 bit serial. After that we use 28
bits, i.e., all bits available in an immediate term on a 32-bit machine.
Number of bits used as index is determined at boot-time instead of at
compile-time.

This can, quite easily, be extended to 60 bits on 64-bit machines when
it comes to the VM. I've already implemented this once in the VM, but
dropped it since it required backward incompatible changes and a lot of
work in erl_interface/ei. This made us settle for 28 bits on all
machines (unfortunately).

The _PID_NUM_SIZE of 15 bits is more or less only still there in order
to make the textual representation of pids look (somewhat) the same as
they used to before R9.

Since 2^28 is a quite small number, pids may be reused quite fast in a
system that spawns a lot of processes. All of the 28 bits of the pid is
passed over the distribution.

Regards,
Rickard Green

--