[erlang-questions] Maps branch and disclaimers

Chris King colanderman@REDACTED
Wed Oct 30 17:13:16 CET 2013

On Wed, 30 Oct 2013 11:48:33 -0400, Robert Virding
<robert.virding@REDACTED> wrote:

> I need this ability to step through a map/dict/whatever in an
> application I am working on (luerl). Dict does not provide this type of
> functionality. It would be easy to hack into an orddict but I don't want
> to use lists. Gb_trees provides an iterators but they are quite limited
> in that they only allow you to step through the whole tree from
> beginning to end; you can't jump in in the middle. Which I need to be
> able to do.

That answers why you need iteration through a homogeneous map-like data
structure.  I get that.

But why does that need to be joined with syntax support?

(My thesis is that syntax support and iteration apply to two distinct use
cases of key-value maps, and that they should be kept separate rather than
piggybacking on each other, in order to permit better optimization, to
decouple development, and to simplify typechecking.)