[erlang-questions] What's the proper/right way to run erlang in the background?

Robert Virding robert.virding@REDACTED
Mon Oct 28 16:56:02 CET 2013

Yes, when you start erl with -s or -run options then a separate process is started by init to evaluate these calls. This process then terminates after the calls have completed. In your first version this caused the supervisors to terminate as they were (correctly) started with a start_link. In your second version the added receive meant that that call never returned and hence the start process never terminated.

There is a better explanation in http://www.erlang.org/doc/man/init.html .

Robert