[erlang-questions] Maps branch and disclaimers

Björn-Egil Dahlberg wallentin.dahlberg@REDACTED
Fri Oct 25 20:42:26 CEST 2013

2013/10/25 Fred Hebert <mononcqc@REDACTED>

> On 10/25, Björn-Egil Dahlberg wrote:
> >
> > Roughly,
> > M0 = #{ key => Value1, "key" => Value2}, % for construction.
> >   M1 = M1#{  "key" := Value3, <<"key">> => Value4 }, % for updates
> >   #{ "key" := V } = M1. % for matching
> >

> I assume you meant M2 = M1#... here?

Aww .. That's what I get for speeding through examples in mails.

Yep, I screwed up the variables in the example .. =)

> Value1 = a, Value2 = b, Value3 = c, Value4 = d.
> M0 = #{ key => Value1, "key" => Value2}.
#{key => a,"key" => b}
> M1 = M0#{  "key" := Value3, <<"key">> => Value4 }.
#{key => a,"key" => c,<<"key">> => d}
> #{ "key" := V } = M1, V.

That will work ..

> > _The External Format_
> >
> > The current external format /needs/ ordered keys as input for
> > binary_to_term/1 and in distribution.
> >
> > This is of course an inconvinience when dealing with other language
> > interfaces which has no idea of what the erlang term order is. I
> > instead propose that the external format should handle unordered
> > input of key-value pairs. The trade off is a more complicated
> > decoding which will take longer.
> >

> Could there be a flag in there that will allow to specify whether the
> terms are ordered or not? It sounds to me like this could yield the
> lowest cost for languages that *do* support sorting in manners similar
> to Erlang (most notably, other Erlang nodes), while having very little
> overhead for talking with other languages (where most of the time will
> be spent unserializing anyway).
>
> The flag could be ignored by languages unserializing the terms that do
> not understand/need Erlang's ordering, too, or optimize accordingly.

Erlang nodes, and all other nodes capable, will handle this like what we
say below here (caching).
The capability detection would be part of the negotiation when connecting.

> > The distribution format should also be extended to be able cache
> > keys. This is similar to the atom cache except we
> > cache the entire key array for maps. This has been the intention all
> > along but it not mentioned in the EEP.
>
> Shall the EEP be extended?

Perhaps.

I think this should be extended later on. I will wait for more input.

> > _Term order and sorting_
> >

> > The Erlang term order is what I call arithmetic term order. I
> > propose that we extend Erlang with true term order where integer
> > compares less then float, i.e. total term order.

> > But for completness, the following operators should also be implemented:
> >
> >     =:=         term exact equal to, already implemented
> >     =/=         term not equal to, already implemented
> >     =:<         term less or equal than
> >     >:=         term greater or equal than
> >     <:<         term less than
> >     >:>         term greater than
> >

> Hell yes! I've found this extremely annoying for a long while. I could
> see the use of this, and it could be done without breaking backwards
> compatibility, except in some rare cases where it could be perceived as
> somewhat inconsistent (orddicts come to mind, where they use the
> arithmetic term order internally, but still enforce the true term order
> for keys -- and I can't see this being fixed)

Yoy \o/

Hopefully it is an inconsistency we can live with. I certainly thinks so.