[erlang-questions] Investigate an infinite loop on production servers

Bob Ippolito bob@REDACTED
Thu May 23 04:21:44 CEST 2013

This kind of thing tends to happen when you continuously send messages to a
process faster than it can handle them. The most common case that I've seen
this is where you have a lot of processes communicating with a single
gen_server process. If your server has swap enabled, this may appear to
make the node "freeze completely but not crash".

In the past I've diagnosed this by monitoring the message_queue_len of
registered processes, but I'm sure there are tools that can help do this
for you.