[erlang-questions] Maps

Richard A. O'Keefe ok@REDACTED
Mon May 13 07:26:47 CEST 2013

On 11/05/2013, at 2:34 AM, Loïc Hoguin wrote:
> Not dismissing it here, I'd be happy to have both, but maps are solving a problem (dict manipulation is incredibly tedious and time consuming in Erlang) while frames simply improve what we already have.

There is another EEP that I haven't finished trying to set up a *general*
solution for the "deep updates" problem.  It really isn't a data structure
issue.

Maps are about three things:
 - a data structure (although it appears that the data structure will be changed)
 - a syntax for that data structure which makes it seem as though it is strongly
   recommended as a record replacement (and that is *precisely* how Joe Armstrong
   has taken it; the new book he's working on uses maps where it would otherwise
   have used records or frames)
 - an attempt to solve the deep updates problem.

These things can be decoupled.  We can have a "deep updates" solution
that works for lists AND tuples AND records AND frames AND maps.  We
can have a top notch data structure.  And these things do not require
maps to use frame-like syntax.