[erlang-questions] If Condition vs. Multiple Function Clauses

Mahesh Paolini-Subramanya mahesh@REDACTED
Sat Jun 15 10:43:00 CEST 2013

Via LYSE and ROK - and with the forlorn hope that this doesn't start up again :-)  -->

It may be more FAMILIAR, but that doesn't mean 'else' is a good thing. I know that writing '; true ->' is a very easy way to get 'else' in Erlang, but we have a couple of decades of psychology-of-programming results to show that it's a bad idea. I have started to replace:

                          by
	if X > Y -> a()		if X > Y  -> a()
	 ; true  -> b()		 ; X =< Y -> b()
	end		     	end

	if X > Y -> a()		if X > Y -> a()
	 ; true  -> c()		 ; X ==Y -> c()
	end			end

which I find mildly annoying when _writing_ the code but enormously helpful when _reading_ it.

Speaking for myself, I've pretty much gotten to the point where I don't notice it.
Heck, I barely notice syntax anymore.  About the best analogy I can come up with is spoken languages (adjectives after nouns in Italian? The Horror! The Horror!).  It may seem strange at first, but you don't even notice it after a few days…

Cheers

Mahesh Paolini-Subramanya
That Tall Bald Indian Guy...
Google+  | Blog   | Twitter  | LinkedIn