[erlang-questions] handling crash on db connect

Paul Rubin paul@REDACTED
Thu Jun 6 17:38:07 CEST 2013

Jesper Louis Andersen wrote:

Rewrite the driver? It makes sense to return some kind of error tuple in
this case because it is expected behaviour that you cannot establish a
connection. Then you can crash on

  ok = redis:connect(…)

Thanks.  It's odd that redis:connect() returns {ok, Connection} in the
success case, which had me expecting it to return an error result in the
failure case instead of crashing.

I wonder if I could just be making some dumb error, and/or found a bug in
the driver, rather than intended behavior.

I've opened a github issue at https://github.com/gar1t/erlang-redis/issues/1

Paul